Recipe by Tiffiny #2
This recipe was a big hit with my toughest critics, my in-laws. I am always in charge of making the dessert for family gatherings and I needed something new for this year's Fourth of July. So with some creativity and good fortune I came up with Strawberry Dreams. The red, white & blue finish is enticing to the eye and even more pleasing to the taste. Enjoy!
Top Review by jaynine
These were delicious. I cut the top of the strawberries flat across and stood them upside down so they would stand up easily, then cut a whole in the bottom (now the top) for the filling. I made just as in the recipe, except added just a squeeze of lemon juice as somebody else suggested, and the filling was awesome. The red, white and blue presentation was beautiful and perfect for our July 4th get-together.
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries (medium to large work best)
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, adjust according to your sweet tooth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of grated semisweet chocolate, looks pretty in the cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash strawberries.
- Cut out small hole/core in tops of strawberries (This hole is where the cream will sit).
- Blend cream cheese, sour cream, powdered sugar& extract (s) in a bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Fold 2 tbsp of grated chocolate into cream mixture (optional).
- Spoon mixture into a decorating bag with decorating tip of your choice (If you don't have decorating bags lying around, you can make do by using a large zip lock bag- Just cut a very small piece off one of the bottom corners to use as the decorating tip).
- Squeeze the cream mixture into the holes/cores of the strawberries.
- Finally, top each strawberry off with a blueberry.
- Best if chilled for at least an hour before serving (while everyone is eating the main course is fine).