Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted by request. Prep time includes 1 hour chilling time for dough.
- 1 pastry shells, cooled
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 -1 1⁄2 quart strawberry
- red food coloring
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature (but not soft)
- 1 egg yolk
- Combine flour and sugar and work in the butter with finger tips.
- Add egg yolk and 1 tablespoon ice water and work with fingertips until dough holds together (don't over work it).
- Pat dough into a flat round.
- Wrap and chill until firm enough to roll.
- Then roll between sheets of wax paper to fit a 9" loose bottomed tart pan.
- Remove top paper and turn pastry over pan centering it.
- Let pastry slip down into pan and gently pull off paper.
- Using fingertips, press pastry into pan, even off rim and chill crust.
- Prick dough with fork.
- Bake at 375°F for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remember to cool before adding filling.
- Beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Spread on bottom of shell and refrigerate.
- Wash and hull strawberries, mash enough uneven ones to make 1 cup.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Add 1/2 cup water and sieved berries and cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture is clear and thickened, then boil about 1 minute.
- Stir to cool slightly and add a little red food coloring if necessary.
- Fill shell with remaining berries, tips up and pour cooked mixture over top.
- Chill 1 hour.
I first found this recipe in a Good Housekeeping magazine in the '60's. I have loved it ever since. It is also fabulous with peaches instead of strawberries. Makes a wonderful party dessert. Not too heavy for coffee and dessert.
This is a recipe that I have made for years and had lost. Quelle surprise! This is an excellent tart recipe with a delicious taste. I highly recommend it!