Recipe by Barb in WNY
This recipe reminds me of my mother. When strawberries were in season she would always bake me and my brother this pie. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften gelatin in water.
- In saucepan, combine sour cream, egg yolks, sugar, milk and salt; mix well.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Blend in gelatin.
- Cool, stirring occasionally until thick but not set.
- In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites with almond extract at high speed until soft mounds form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold into chilled mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon into baked pastry shell.
- Chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Arrange strawberry halves on top of pie.
- Heat jelly with water, stirring constantly until jelly melts; spoon over strawberries.
- Chill until served.