Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe reminds me of my mother. When strawberries were in season she would always bake me and my brother this pie. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 1 (9 inch) pastry shells, baked
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon water
- Soften gelatin in water.
- In saucepan, combine sour cream, egg yolks, sugar, milk and salt; mix well.
- Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 5 minutes.
- Blend in gelatin.
- Cool, stirring occasionally until thick but not set.
- In small mixer bowl, beat egg whites with almond extract at high speed until soft mounds form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold into chilled mixture gently but thoroughly.
- Spoon into baked pastry shell.
- Chill until set, about 2 hours.
- Arrange strawberry halves on top of pie.
- Heat jelly with water, stirring constantly until jelly melts; spoon over strawberries.
- Chill until served.