Recipe by Marie
This pie starts with a delicious custard placed in a baked pie shell, then a layer of halved fresh strawberries is added and then topped with luscious freshly whipped cream. Custard can be made ahead and pie assembled just before serving. Awesome!
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups scalded milk
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie shells
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed and halved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan, gradually add milk and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thick.
- Add a small amount of the hot mixture to the beaten eggs and whisk in quickly.
- Return egg mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring constantly until thick.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla extract.
- Cover and chill.
- Whip cream, add sugar and beat until thickened.
- Pour chilled custard mixture into bottom of pie shell and arrange strawberry halves over the top.
- Just before serving, spread whipped cream over top of strawberries.
- Garnish with more berries, if desired.