Recipe by More Sunshine
These are very sweet, but they are heavenly. I had them once at a sleep over when I was 5. They made such an impression I craved them as an adult and I only had them that one time. I was ecstatic when I finally found the recipe at age 30!
Top Review by MTpockets
I thought these were pretty good but they are REALLY sweet! (I know, You warned us!!) I didn't really think they needed frosting and the recipe makes alot more than needed. Out of a regular cake mix, you get 24 cupcakes, so I cut down the sugar to 1 1/2 cups, 3 Tbsp. butter and added only 3-4 Tbsp of water. I think If I make these again I'd only use a few Tbsp. of the left over jello and dissolve it in a few tbsp. of boiling water and add it to the frosting and just discard the rest. The jello gives the cupcakes alot of flavor and color and now that they make blue jello, I think these would be great for a baby shower in pink and blue! I'd probably just make the frosting and skip adding the rest of the jello to it and opt to add food coloring instead to cut back on the sweetness. It's a good recipe but I think I just need to play with it a little because it was a little too sweet for me. But Thank You for sharing!
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix with pudding, 2 Layer
- 3 ounces strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Baking Tip - for fluffier cupcakes, beat the eggs, water, and oil until very frothy before adding the cake mix.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding 4 tablespoons of the Jello, before beating. Bake as directed for cupcakes using cup cake liners.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and finish cooling.
- In a small cup, dissolve the remaining Jello in the boiling water making sure it is completely dissolved.
- Cream the butter; add part of the sugar gradually, blending after each addition. Add remaining sugar alternately with Jello mixture, beating until smooth.
- Spread on top of completely cooled cupcakes. These taste better completely chilled. Store in covered Tupperware contain in refrigerator.