Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
From Cooking Light, June 2006. Cook time reflects chilling time.
- 4 cups hulled strawberries, quartered (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon sugar substitute
- 2 medium cucumbers (yielding about 2 cups when sliced)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel and seed cucumbers; halve lengthwise, and slice thin.
- Combine strawberries, basil, vinegar, and sugar. Toss to coat and chill for 1 hour.
- Combine cucumbers and lemon juice; toss to coat.
- After chilling, add cucumber mixture, salt, and pepper to strawberry mixture. Gently toss to combine, and serve immediately.
Fantastic! I served this on a bed of spring greens - mmmm! So light for summer, too!
OUTSTANDING! I *LOVE* this recipe. I stumbled upon this recipe by mistake and I am so happy I did. I just so happened to have all these ingredients in my fridge and it sounded so interesting I tried it. I used a seedless cucumber and I accidently forgot the lemon juice. I also doubled the "dressing" ingredients because I like things saucy. I ate this right away (without the chill time) and still thought the flavor was good. I'm going to the store tomorrow so I can buy more cucumbers and strawberries so I can make this again. This is such a lovely, light summer salad. Thanks for my new favorite recipe!