Prep 35 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a great cake! It has strawberries buried in the center. With a wonderful glaze on top, this is definitely a winner. Great for cook-outs, pot lucks or for no other reason than it's a great cake. The glaze will yield 1 cup, and it will take about 10 minutes. Times are approximate.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen sliced strawberries, thawed (reserve juice *)
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the glaze
- reserved strawberry juice (*)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Drain strawberries, *reserving juice for glaze. Set strawberries and juice aside.
- Cream butter; gradually add 1 1/4 cups sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour and next three ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix after each addition.
- Combine brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon; set aside. Pour half of batter into a lightly greased 13-x9-x2-inch baking pan. Spoon strawberries over the batter; sprinkle with half of brown sugar mixture. Top with remaining batter, and sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center of cake mixture comes out clean. Let cake cool; cut into squares. Top each square with warm glaze and a dollop of whipped cream.
- For the glaze:.
- Combine the reserved strawberry juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice.