Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
I have had this recipe with so many different combinations of fruit. You can use strawberry/rhubarb, blackberry, blueberry, raspberries, etc. Sine it is strawberry season, this is a very inexpensive recipe to make and very good! My kids were able to help me with every part of this project. From cutting up the strawberries, to zesting the lemon, and measuring out all the ingredients. These are also sturdy bars for traveling.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 4 cups fresh fruit (I used strawberries)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the fruit. Sprinkle the fruit mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Let cool and cut into squares!