Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Received this recipe in a Food Now email; posting since strawberry season is coming up soon...
Top Review by 2Bleu
Wow, what a fabulous recipe! I made this recipe exactly as is, adjusting the servings to 3 as my son ate most of the strawberries I had bought for this recipe. lol. Very easy to make, ready in no time, and absolutely fantastic flavor! I served it warm as a tart/pie/cobbler rather than in bars but either way would be good. First time I've ever used egg to make a crumb base/topping, but it worked out wonderfully. We will definitely be making this again, often! Thanks for sharing this fabulous and easy treat!
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Grease a 13×9 inch pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the sugar, the baking powder and flour. Mix in the salt and the lemon zest, and stir together with a fork Cut in the butter and egg with a pastry blender (or two knives if you don’t have one) until the largest chunks are about pea-sized. The mixture should be crumbly without much loose flour.
- Spread about half of the dough mixture in an even layer over the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly to form the bottom crust.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the strawberries with a rubber spatula until combined. Spread the berry mixture evenly over the bottom crust Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the berries.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.