1/2 Photos of Strawberry Crisp
I found this recipe on the New York Daily News website. Strawberries will soon be coming back into season (they are really a winter fruit in my part of the world) and I can't wait to try this one out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the streusel
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
For the fruit
- 1Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2Prepare the streusel:
- 3In an electric mixing bowl on low speed, using the paddle attachment, beat flour, sugars and salt briefly to combine.
- 4Add the butter, increase the mixer speed and beat.
- 5Watch closely, and as soon as the streusel is light and beginning to come together, stop beating. The dough should consist of pea-size balls. Don't overmix, or you'll have clumps.
- 6Refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 7Prepare the fruit:
- 8In a large mixing bowl, stir together the berries, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract and salt. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- 9Spoon the strawberry mixture into a large baking dish or 6 to 10 individual ovenproof dishes.
- 10Cover the fruit with large balls of streusel, mounding streusel crumbs around them.
- 11Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the size of the dish. Rotate the dish from the top to the bottom oven shelf halfway through the baking time.
- 12When the top is crisp and the fruit is soft and bubbling, the dessert is ready.
- 13Some hints:.
- 14Chilling the mixing bowl and the beaters for an hour or so before you prepare the streusel will make a more tender topping.
- 15Use any combination of berries that you like.
- 16This dessert is best served warm with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 794.9
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 97.6 mg
- Sodium 266.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 59.5 g
- Protein 7.2 g