Top Review by TasteTester
This pie turned out nice and tasty, but the filling didn't set up properly -- it was very soft and runny. I used the heavy cream called for as part of the filling, but for the milk I used 2%, so next time I'll try it with whole milk.
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, blanched almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 recipe cream filling
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons enriched flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Directions for Cream Filling:
- Mix first 4 ingredients.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook and stir till thick.
- Stir a little of hot mixture into egg; return to remaining hot mixture.
- Bring just to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Cool, then chill.
- Beat well; fold in whipped cream and vanilla.
- Directions for pie:
- Toast almonds until lightly browned, then sprinkle over the bottom of the cooled pie crust.
- Fill crust with chilled Cream Filling.
- Halve 2 cups of the strawberries.
- Pile atop filling.
- Crush remaining 1/2 cup berries; add water; cook 2 minutes; sieve.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in berry juice.
- Cook, and stir till thick and clear.
- Tint to desired color with food coloring.
- Cool slightly; pour over halved strawberries.
- Keep refrigerated till serving time.
- Pass whipped cream, if desired.