Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
adapted from Giada DeLaurentiis
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 3 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 ounces fresh strawberries, crushed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup powdered sugar, plus additional
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Line 18 muffin cups with muffin papers. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cake mix, water, egg whites, melted butter, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a large bowl for 2 minutes, or until the batter is well blended. Using about 1/3 cup of batter for each cupcake, spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake the cupcakes until they are very pale golden on top, about 15 minutes. Cool the cupcakes completely on a cooling rack.
- Using a fork, coarsely mash strawberries in a medium bowl. Beat the cream and 1/3 cup of powdered sugar in a large bowl until firm peaks form. Fold the mashed berries into the whipped cream.
- Remove the muffin papers from the cupcakes and cut the tops off of each cupcake. Spoon the strawberry whipped cream atop the cupcake bottoms. Place the cupcake tops on the cupcakes. Dust with more powdered sugar and serve with the remaining berries.