Prep 20 mins
Cook 23 mins
Very easy and tasty. Everyone will wonder how the filling got into the middle.
- 18 ounces yellow cake mix
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves (or raspberry, other berry jam)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 24 pieces (cut it cold right out of the fridge in 6 by 4 rows)
- 1 (12 ounce) containerready made cream cheese frosting (or your favorite cream cheese frosting)
- Mix cake mix, sour cream, oil, water in eggs in large bowl until well blended. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into 24 muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Place strawberry preserves in small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Place 1 cube of cream cheese in center of each cupcake; press in slightly. Place 1/4 tsp of preserves over the cream cheese.
- You may also press 4-5 mini chocolate chips into the cream cheese before pressing into the batter for a nice variation.
- Bake 18-23 minutes at 350 or until tops are golden brown and spring back in center. The cream cheese and preserves should sink into the center of the cupcake, some preserve may show slightly on the top.
- Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.
I had a SUCCESS with this for Valentines Day. People kept raving that they wanted more because the ooey gooey oh so good center of cream cheese with strawberry preserves! I've gotta say that I'm excited to have found this recipe and am now on my 3rd batch of cupcakes for friends since Valentines Day! What a laugh out loud success!
Not much success with these; I must have been having a "bad bake day". The cream cheese was no more than a hard little clump, there were too little strawberry preserves, and they all fell in the middle like they'd all given up on life! I didn't even bother frosting them and sad to say, they've been in my cupcake container for two days-very unusual for this family. Won't be trying these again but thanks for posting because someone, somewhere will love these.
Took this to school for a teachers birthday party. Not one complaint.