Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I was looking for something to do with a strawberry cake mix that I had hanging around. I found these in a cookbook, Quick Fixes with Cake Mixes. As the into says "if you like cheescake or pastries with cheese filling, you'll really like these..."
- 1 (18 ounce) strawberry cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with vegetable spray or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter and 1 egg; mix well.
- Press the mixture into bottom prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with remaining eggs and sugar until mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Pour the mixture over cake mix batter and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until light brown on top.
- Cool, cut into bars and enjoy.
Too sweet for me, the stars are only for the ease of preparation.
I read some comments and reduced sugar quite a bit, because I like things less sweet than other people. Otherwise, I tried to keep it as written. I made a full batch, but decided to use 1/4 as much sugar, after combining the cake mix with butter and the cream cheese. I tasted the batter and then added what seemed like enough sugar and the eggs. I only had a 7x11 pan, but the batter was still pretty thinly spread. The bottoms of my bars got burned.
Made these for a get-together with friends and they were a huge hit! So easy, and very yummy! I am eager to make them again!