A reworked recipe from Pinterest. One of the ingredients (the glazing mix) was unobtainable. Prep time includes chill time. Only half a cake mix is required. Using an entire box will make the bottom layer too thick. Don't worry about the remainder mix. Use it next week because you'll be making this again soon. Note: The recipe won't allow me to put "1/2" package cake mix. For those that may be confused, it is 1/2 (or 0.5) of an 18.25 ounce package white cake mix.
For the Cake Layer
- 0.5 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix (about 2 cups dry mix depending on size)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
For the Cream Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream (1/2 pint)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
For the Strawberry Layer
- 4 cups fresh strawberries (can use frozen whole strawberries thawed)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) boxjello brand strawberry gelatin
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) boxjello brand vanilla pudding mix (cook & serve)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- To make the cake layer: Mix together the ingredients and blend on high for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased and floured 13"x9" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until done. Cool completely.
- To make the cream layer: Beat the whipping cream on high until soft peaks form; set aside. Beat the cream cheese until smooth and then gradually add the powdered sugar. Gently fold in the whipped cream until well incorporated.
- Spread over the cooled cake and refrigerate.
- To make the strawberry glaze: Slice the strawberries in half or quarters. Sprinkle the desired amount of sugar over the sliced strawberries, tossing to distribute the sugar and allowing the juices to run. Try to keep from over-smashing the berries. Set aside.
- In medium sauce pan over high heat add strawberry gelatin, vanilla pudding mix and water; bring to a boil. Stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture stand about 10 minutes or cool enough to the touch.
- Spread or arrange the sweetened strawberries and juices over the cream layer and pour or gently spread the glazing mixture over the strawberry/cream cheese layer of the cake.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours before serving.
What a HIT! Served this at a family birthday party and, down to the last piece, every bite was gone! I will continue to make this for years to come!