1/3 Photos of Strawberry Cream Cake
1 hr 45 mins
This is a wonderful recipe I got from America's Test Kitchen. It was very easy to make and turned out beautiful and delicious! This also travels well. See pictures for cake assembly view.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 295.73 ml cake flour (5 ounces)
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml table salt
- 236.59 ml sugar (7 ounces)
- 5 large eggs, room temperature (2 whole and 3 separated)
- 88.74 ml unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 29.58 ml water
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 907.18 g fresh strawberries, washed, dried, and stemmed (medium or large, about 2 quarts)
- 59.16-88.74 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml kirsch or 29.58 ml cherry flavored liqueur
- 0.25 ml table salt
- 1FOR THE CAKE:.
- 2Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- 3Grease and flour round 9 by 2-inch cake pan (pan must be at least 2" high!) or 9-inch springform pan and line with parchment paper.
- 4Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and all but 3 tablespoons sugar in mixing bowl.
- 5Whisk in 2 whole eggs and 3 yolks (reserving whites), butter, water, and vanilla; whisk until smooth.
- 6In clean bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat remaining 3 egg whites at medium-low speed until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 7With machine running, gradually add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, increase speed to medium-high, and beat until soft peaks form, 60 to 90 seconds.
- 8Stir one-third of whites into batter to lighten; add remaining whites and gently fold into batter until no white streaks remain.
- 9Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.
- 10Cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert cake onto greased wire rack; peel off and discard parchment.
- 11Invert cake again; cool completely, about 2 hours.
- 12FOR THE STRAWBERRY FILLING:
- 13Halve 24 of best-looking berries and reserve.
- 14Quarter remaining berries; toss with 4 to 6 tablespoons sugar (depending on sweetness of berries) in medium bowl and let sit 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 15Strain juices from berries and reserve (you should have about 1/2 cup).
- 16In workbowl of food processor fitted with metal blade, give macerated berries five 1-second pulses (you should have about 1 1/2 cups).
- 17In small saucepan over medium-high heat, simmer reserved juices and Kirsch until syrupy and reduced to about 3 tablespoons, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 18Pour reduced syrup over macerated berries, add pinch of salt, and toss to combine.
- 19Set aside until cake is cooled.
- 20FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:.
- 21When cake has cooled, place cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment.
- 22Whisk at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula as needed.
- 23Reduce speed to low and add heavy cream in slow, steady stream; when almost fully combined, increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture holds stiff peaks, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes more, scraping bowl as needed (you should have about 4 1/2 cups).
- 24TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE:
- 25Using large serrated knife, slice cake into three even layers.
- 26Place bottom layer on cardboard round or cake plate and arrange ring of 20 strawberry halves, cut sides down and stem ends facing out, around perimeter of cake layer.
- 27Pour 1/2 of pureed berry mixture (about 3/4 cup) in center, then spread to cover any exposed cake.
- 28Gently spread about one-third of whipped cream (about 1 1/2 cups) over berry layer, leaving 1/2-inch border from edge.
- 29Place middle cake layer on top and press down gently (whipped cream layer should become flush with cake edge).
- 30Repeat with 20 additional strawberry halves, remaining berry mixture, and half of remaining whipped cream; gently press last cake layer on top.
- 31Spread remaining whipped cream over top; decorate with remaining cut strawberries.
- 32Serve, or chill for up to 4 hours.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 711.7
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.6 g
- Cholesterol 251.9 mg
- Sodium 353.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 50.6 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: