Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
This cake is a real crowd pleaser. Delicious AND beautiful. From taste of home.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups whole fresh strawberries
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In another mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in the lemon juice, oil and water. Combine flour and salt; add to yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 T. at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in remaining whties.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan; smooth the top. Bake at 325 for 35-40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form.
- Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake. Split into three horizontal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; top with some of the whipped cream and sliced strawberries.Repeat. Top with remaining cake layer; spread remaining whipped cream over top and sides of cake. Arrange remaining sliced berries on sides of cake.
- Cut whole berries in half; arrange on cake top. Store in the refrigerator.