Recipe by ROV Chef
This is something my wife came up with one day and then I ran with it. She stuffed the strawberries with brownies, but I went with the truffle filling and sold this on Valentines day. The truffle filling is Alton Brown's recipe with one small change. I used red wine where he called for brandy. Cooking time includes the time for the strawberries to soak and chill.
- 1 lb strawberry
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounces dark chocolate shavings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- stem and hull the strawberries.
- mix the 1 and half cup of wine, balsamic, pepper, sugar and lemon zest together and pour over strawberries. Make sure they are all covered and that the hollow is filled with wine.
- Let the strawberries soak for at least 2 hours
- Place the chocolate and butter in a glass mixing bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. give it a stir and heat again for another 30 seconds. Then set aside.
- while you doing that, heat the cream and corn syrup in a small sauce pan until it simmers over a medium heat. Pay close attention, because it wont take long and could result in r a big freaking mess.
- Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and butter and let it sit for 2 minutes.
- gently fold with a rubber spatula until it's smooth and creamy.
- add the 1/4 cup of wine and stir until it's mixed completely.
- This step should be timed at the end of the strawberries soak time.
- After the strawberries have marinated, scoop them out and let them drain real well. Save the wine mix.
- On a plate, make a foil bed so you can stand up the strawberries with the hollow end up.
- Gently pour the truffle mix into the hollow of the strawberry.
- Let them sit at room temp for about 10 minutes, then chill in the fridge or freezer.
- Pour the wine mixture into a sauce pan and reduce until it forms a thick sticky glaze.
- Drizzle the glaze over the chilled and filled berries.