1/1 Photo of Strawberry Country Cake
1 hr 5 mins
Gay Gilmore's Note:
This is easy and it looks rustic and lovely. A terrific summer dessert. From Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa's Parties
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
FILLING (for each cake):
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter and flour 2 8-inch cake pans.
- 3Cream the butter and sugar on high speed until fluffy.
- 4On medium speed add the eggs one at a time, then sour cream, zests and vanilla.
- 5Mix well.
- 6Sift together the remaining dry ingredients.
- 7Add the dry mixture to the mix slowly on low speed.
- 8Mix until smooth.
- 9Bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 10Let cool completely.
- 11Reserve one cake for later.
- 12To make the filling for one cake, whip the cream until firm.
- 13Add the sugar and vanilla.
- 14Slice the cake in half to make two rounds.
- 15Place the bottom half on the platter and spread half of the whipped cream on top and cover with most of the strawberries.
- 16Place the second half on top, and repeat with the cream and decorate with the rest of the strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry Country Cake
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 919.1
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat 28.1 g
- Cholesterol 254.3 mg
- Sodium 494.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 77.1 g
- Protein 10.5 g