Recipe by Lainey6605
This cake is full of sweet strawberries and spiced with cinnamon. It has a festive red color for Christmas.
Top Review by Pam-I-Am
Deliciously different! I bet this would make great muffins too. It's a pretty deep coffee cake - takes up the whole 8x8 pan. Be sure to wait until it cools to cut as my first piece was sliding on the strawberry layer. It is very moist and delicious, not too sweet, which is good for a coffee cake. I did add about 1/4 cup sugar to the frozen strawberries and cornstarch when I cooked it. Mine seemed a little tart at first. Thanks for posting.
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 283.49 g package frozen strawberries (sweetened, sliced and thawed)
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 551.25 ml all-purpose flour
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 177.44 ml cold butter
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 177.44 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, combine cornstarch and strawberries until blended.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon and almond extract, set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside 1/2 cup for topping.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in buttermilk and egg until moistened.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of batter into a greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Carefully spread with the strawberry mixture.
- Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over strawberry mixture.
- Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.