Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
A special occasion dessert that is impressive and elegant. Cook time includes cooling time. From Mary Lou Smarsh.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped toasted almond
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups whole fresh strawberries
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Place egg whites in mixing bowl; let stand at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in almonds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trace a 9-inch circle on the paper.
- Spoon meringue evenly over circle, forming a 1-1/4 inch rim.
- Bake at 300-degrees for 45 minutes.
- Turn oven off and do not open door.
- Let meringue dry for 1 hour.
- Cool on baking sheet on wire rack.
- When completely cool, remove meringue from parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in cocoa, milk and vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into the meringue shell.
- Top with strawberries.
- Melt chocolate and shortening: drizzle over berries.