Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Have you ever made a recipe that you just weren't sure about? Even while I was baking this, I didn't know if it would be good or not. I had the idea to change up the recipe for Tuxedo Bars and I had a strawberry cake mix in the pantry. Chocolate and strawberries go together, right? I asked about the cake on Facebook, just to see if others thought it sounded good. I also wanted to know what kind of icing to put on it. I couldn't decide between chocolate, vanilla or strawberry. After reading all the opinions or friends, I decided to go with strawberry icing. The result was marvelous! The fresh strawberry frosting really set off the cake and the mini chocolate chips gave it just enough chocolate flavor. This make a 15x10-inch sheet cake, so it's great for a crowd. But I think it would also freeze well, if you have more than you can eat.
- 1 (18 ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant strawberry pudding mix
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mini chocolate chips
FOR THE ICING
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk, if needed
- Mix all ingredients for the cake, except the chocolate chips, with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased 10x15-inch baking pan or 30-48 cupcake tins lined with cupcake papers.
- Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes for a sheet cake or 18-22 minutes for cupcake, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Beat the butter for the frosting with electric mixer.
- Add powdered sugar and beat.
- Add strawberries and vanilla.
- If needed to make the icing spreadable, add a bit of milk a teaspoon at a time.
- Spread icing on cake or pipe icing onto cupcakes.
- Store in the refrigerator.