Prep 30 mins
Cook 48 hrs
a yummy company dessert from a magazine when I was a teenager.
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 drops red food coloring
- Heat oven to 350.
- Mix crumbs, butter and 2 tbsp sugar in bowl.
- Press into lightly buttered 9" pie plate.
- Bake 8 minutes and cool.
- Mix berries and 1/3 cup sugar and let stand 15 minutes or until juice runs freely.
- Strain juice into saucepan.
- Soften gelatin in water for 5 minutes.
- Add to berry juice and heat until gelatin is dissolved. cool.
- Add sliced berries to cooled mixture.
- Chill until mixture mounds when spooned.
- Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until foamy, stiff, glossy peaks.
- Fold thickened berry mixture into meringue.
- Whip cream and fold into berry mixture along with food coloring.
- Pour into cooled crust and chill.
- Garnish with additional whipped cream if desired.