Recipe by Paris D
We served this with cooked barley and thought it was delicious. I hope you do, too!
Top Review by rpgaymer
This recipe sounded very unique so I had to try it as soon as I saw it. It's less sweet than I thought it'd be, and as a result it's kind of bland. A little brown sugar or palm sugar or even a bit of strawberry jam would've really perked up the flavors for me. Otherwise, I love the idea behind this, and it was pretty good served over fried brown rice.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into stir-fry strips
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 lbs fresh strawberries, washed and hulled, and cut into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons water, as desired
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in a bowl and combine with the light soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry, and cornstarch. Marinate the chicken for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup water, orange juice, lemon juice and sugar. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch into 2 or 4 teaspoons water (2 teaspoons for a thicker sauce; 4 teaspoons for a thinner sauce). Set aside.
- Heat a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil, swirling the oil so that it coats half-way up the sides as well as the bottom. When the oil is hot, add half the minced garlic and ginger. Stir-fry until aromatic (about 10 seconds), then add the chicken. Let the chicken brown for about 30 seconds, then stir-fry the chicken until it turns white and is nearly cooked through. Remove the chicken and drain in a colander or on paper towels.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok or skillet, swirling the oil so that it coats half-way up the sides as well as the bottom. When the oil is hot, add the remaining garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the strawberries. Stir-fry briefly (about 30 seconds), give the sauce a quick stir and add into the pan. Re-stir the cornstarch and water mixture and pour into the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken.
- When the sauce thickens, add the chicken back into the pan. Stir-fry for another minute to blend the ingredients and make sure the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.