Recipe by Anita Harris
Awesome! This gives a whole new meaning to strawberry shortcake. Great dessert for after any meal and a definite crowd pleaser and easy to prepare. (cooking time is estimated chill time.)
Top Review by roweena
This was a HUGE hit at our Easter get-together! We used 2 angel food cakes and a HUGE box of strawberries (from Sam's Club), and still had quite a bit of cream cheese mix leftover (not that I'm complaining!). My only suggestion is to slice the cake into 1/2 inch thick pieces and assemble it the day you plan on eating it, so the cake doesn't get mealy/mushy. so, SO GOOD!
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup Cool Whip, thawed
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 angel food cake, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until fluffy; add sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and the almond extract; set aside.
- Fold the cool whip into the cream cheese mixture.
- Gently stir in cake pieces; set aside.
- Combine strawberries and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Layer in a large glass bowl, starting with 1/4 of the strawberries, then adding 1/3 of the cake mixture.
- Continue layering; finish with strawberries.
- Cover with plastic wrap; and chill several hours.