Recipe by Gerry sans Sanddunes
A keeper from BBC TV's PAUL RANKIN and his SATURDAY KITCHEN. It looks elegant, preps in 30 minutes, takes about 10 minutes to "cook", and can be made ahead a "dolloped" with whipped cream just before bringing it to the table.
FOR BISCUIT LAYER
- 150 g crushed biscuits
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh fine-chopped grated lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
FOR STRAWBERRY LAYER
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, dissolved in a little orange juice
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 1 kg strawberry, cleaned and sliced
FOR THE CHEESECAKE LAYER
- 2 sheets gelatin
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces caster sugar
- 300 g thick Greek style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- mint leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE BISCUIT LAYER - Mix all the ingredients together and reserve.
- STRAWBERRY LAYER - Place the lemon juice and water in a small saucepan and mix in the cornflower well.
- Bring to a boil, and when the cornflour has dissolved, mix in the sugar and the strawberries.
- Heat gently to dissolve sugar, then remove from heat and allow to and thicken.
- FOR THE CHEESECAKE MIXTURE - Soften the gelatin in the lemon juice and a spoonfull of water (if needed), for about 3-5 minutes.
- Heat the mixture gently over low heat in a small saucepan until the gelatine is completely dissolved.
- Meanwhile, whisk the cream cheese and sugar in a mixer OR blender on medium speed.
- When the sugar has dissolved, turn down the speed and add the yogurt and the gelatine.
- When the mixture is blended together, add the vanilla extract.
- TO ASSEMBLE - Place a biscuit layer in the base of six wine glasses.
- Add a good dollop of the cheesecake mixture, then add some strawberries.
- Cover each wine glass and chill for a few hours.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprig of mint just before bringing to the table.