Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 50 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From the June/ July 2008 issue of Taste of Home magazine. This is a rich, decadent, amazing ice cream. I like to make a graham cracker "crust", bake it, and sprinkle over the top of the ice cream.
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the half and half to 175F; stir in the sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs.
- Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160F and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla.
- Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon juice and peel until blended. Gradually beat in the custard mixture. Stir in strawberries. I have a 5 quart mixing bowl, and needed to divide the batter into two bowls to mix it without splashing it out of the bowl.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2 to 4 hours before serving.