Recipe by looneytunesfan
In Southern California, we eat ice cream all year round. This is a good one.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed or 3 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Whisk a small amount of hot milk mixture into the eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Stir in the cream cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir strawberries and cream into custard. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving.