Recipe by looneytunesfan
Make this look and taste extra-fancy by topping it with additional confectioners' sugar and maple syrup and/or fresh fruit.
Top Review by Boo L
Just made this this morning as an alternative to our normal English-French toast (which is basically just egg) with syrup. It's nice, and made a pleasant change, but it's quite cloying. I think it might work better with fresh strawberries to cut through the creaminess.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 8 slices country white bread
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar; mix well then stir in the preserves.
- Spread equally over 4 bread slices. Top with the remaining bread slices, forming sandwiches.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, completely coating both sides. Cook 2 sandwiches at a time for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet and cook the remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Slice each in half diagonally and serve.