Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Make this look and taste extra-fancy by topping it with additional confectioners' sugar and maple syrup and/or fresh fruit.
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 8 slices country white bread
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar; mix well then stir in the preserves.
- Spread equally over 4 bread slices. Top with the remaining bread slices, forming sandwiches.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture, completely coating both sides. Cook 2 sandwiches at a time for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet and cook the remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Slice each in half diagonally and serve.
Just made this this morning as an alternative to our normal English-French toast (which is basically just egg) with syrup. It's nice, and made a pleasant change, but it's quite cloying. I think it might work better with fresh strawberries to cut through the creaminess.
This is an incredible recipe! I make this for my hubby on weekends :-). Even managed to lighten i up a bit! I used 2 heaping tbsp of fat free cream cheese, 1 tbsp sugar free preserves & didn't use any sugar. I spread it on the bread (used whole wheat) & didn't use any more sugar in the egg mix--just added vanilla & a bit of cinnamon. This is wonderful with a strawberry &/or banana syrup. fat free whipped cream makes it look very decadent. thanks so much for sharing!
This was pretty tasty. I mixed raspberry preserves with the cream cheese and only added about 1-2 TBSP of confectioners sugar to the mix. My 2 and 4 year old really liked this for breakfast this morning. I only gave it 4 star because I wish the outside was crispier. But will make this again! Thanks for the recipe!