Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fresh strawberries, whipped cream and sponge cake, is there anything better? Makes a good presentation, too.
- sifted powdered sugar
- 32 ladyfingers, split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and pureed
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream, whipped with
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- additional fresh strawberries, washed and halved
- Sprinkle powdered sugar evenly over the smooth side of each ladyfinger half.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with ladyfingers, reserving remaining ladyfingers.
- Set aside.
- Soften gelatin in water; set aside.
- Combine pureed strawberries and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; add softened gelatin, stirring until well blended.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, and cool to room temperature.
- Chill until the consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
- Gently fold whipped cream into chilled strawberry mixture.
- Alternate layers of strawberry mixture and lady fingers in prepared springform pan, beginning and ending with strawberry mixture.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Remove sides of springform pan, and transfer charlotte to a chilled serving platter.
- Garnish with strawberry halves.
- Slice and serve immediately.