Prep 9 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Bon Appetit, April 1994.
Make and share this Strawberry Charlotte recipe from Food.com.
- 4 fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 7 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 lb frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed (do not drain)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 (7 ounce) packagedry champagne biscuits (4-inch long lady fingers)
- fresh strawberries
- Line bottom and sides of 5-cup souffle dish with waxed paper.
- Arrange sliced fresh berries in concentric circles on bottom of dish, points turned away from center.
- Bring water and 1/2 cup sugar to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in 6 T liqueur. Cool.
- Combine 1 T liqueur and gelatin in small bowl.
- Whisk yolks and 3 T sugar to blend in medium bowl.
- Bring 1/2 cup cream to boil in heavy small saucepan.
- Remove from heat; whisk into egg mixture. Return mixture to pan; stir over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Transfer custard to bowl; cool slightly.
- Puree thawed strawberries in processor. Pour 1/2 cup pureed strawberries into custard. Let stand until cool, but not set, about 15 minutes.
- Whip 1 cup cream in large bowl until medium peaks form. Fold custard and 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries into whipped cream.
- Trim about 15 biscuits to 2-inch lengths. Dip into Grand Marnier syrup and shake off excess; arrange biscuits around sides of prepared dish, sides of biscuits touching and rounded ends up.
- Spoon mousse into biscuit-lined dish. Dip more biscuits into syrup, shake off excess syrup and arrange atop mousse.
- Stir 3 T sugar into berry puree for sauce.
- Cover charlotte and sauce separately and refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold charlotte onto platter. Remove waxed paper. Garnish with additional strawberries. Serve with sauce.