Recipe by swissms
This deep red sauce is good served warm, at room temperature, or chilled over ice cream or pound cake. Use a good cabernet in the sauce. Posted for safekeeping; I have not tried this recipe.
Top Review by Nif
Well, I used a nice Shiraz, but it still turned out great! :) We had this on French toast this morning and it was lovely. I used fresh strawberries as well. Made for Went to the Market tag. Thanks swissms! :)
- 3⁄4 cup cabernet sauvignon wine or 3⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon cabernet sauvignon wine or 1 tablespoon dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 3/4 cup wine and sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Place wine mixture, vanilla and half of strawberries in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour pureed strawberry mixture in a large bowl.
- Coarsely chop remaining strawberries. Add chopped strawberries, 1 T wine, and lemon juice to pureed strawberry mixture; stir to combine.