Strawberry Buttermilk Shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub in butter with your finger tips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (or pulse a few times in a food processor). Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract until the dough comes together. Add an additional tablespoon of buttermilk if the dough is slightly dry.
- Drop by 1/4 cups (use a measuring cup) onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- When ready to serve, slice each shortcake in half and top generously with strawberries and whipped cream.