Recipe by Zetty66
A great way to use up those strawberries that are so abundant right now. The addition of the buttermilk and the straining of the berry solids make this SOOO smooth. Incredibly easy, just mix and pop it in your ice cream maker. From Southern Living.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries (or 16oz. package frozen, thawed)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh mint sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Process strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Pour strawberry puree through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, pressing with back of a spoon. Discard solids.
- Add buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla to puree; stir until well blended. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Pour strawberry mixture into freezer container of a 1 1/2 quart electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturers instructions.
- Garnish, if desired.