Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love this recipe because buttercream is the best frosting for cakes and strawberries are my favorite fruit. I learned to make this recipe while attending culinary arts school and have my own variation and way of making it.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups butter, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced strawberry, drained
- In a saucepan, place the sugar and carefully pour the water around the edge.
- Using your finger, make an X in the pan to help the water gently mix with the sugar.
- Bring to a boil and cook to softball stage (about 235 degrees F.) Meanwhile, whip the egg whites in a mixer with a whip attachment until light and fluffy.
- When sugar is at the softball stage, slowly pour it into the bowl down the side and continue whipping, adding vanilla, butter, and strawberries until incorporated and then cooled.
WAY too much butter, IMOH. The icing basically tasted like strawberry flavored bagel spread. And that was after I DOUBLED the strawberries!! Not what I was expecting to go on the strawberry cake I made for DD's slumber party.......