Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A combination that my kids and I thought up for an indulgent weekend breakfast. Has been edited a bit since then, to make it more diet-friendly and healthier.
- 4 slices whole wheat bread or 4 slices sourdough bread or 4 slices bread, of your choice or 2 English muffins, sliced
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar or 6 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 cups sliced or hulled strawberries
- 4 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- Toast English Muffins or other toast of your choice; = 4 slices of bread.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- Add sugar or sugar substitute, lemon zest and lime juice; cook, stirring until sugar melts and mixture bubbles, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add strawberries and stir till juices begin to exude and berries are heated through, 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mascarpone on each slice of muffin or toast.
- Top with warm and luscious berries.