This is a super easy recipe for when you want something impressive for Sunday morning breakfast or brunch. For the pancake mix, use a brand such as Aunt Jemima that is made with milk and eggs. It will ensure that the texture is nice and fluffy. This is wonderful served with maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the melted butter into the bottom of a 9" cake pan.
- Either brush or use a paper towel to make sure the butter coats the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Before putting in the pan, taste the strawberries. If they are not sweet enough, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar over the bottom of the pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with the strawberries, covering all of the surface. If necessary, scatter any remaining strawberry slices over top of the first layer.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a fork or whisk, stir the pancake mix with the eggs and milk. Beat well to remove all lumps.
- Pour over the berries and immediately bake in the centre of the oven until the sides begin to pull away from the pan and the cake is a deep golden brown, from 30 to 35 minutes.
- Immediately run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert the cake onto a flat plate.
- Dust the top with icing sugar.
- Serve right away.