Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is really good for baby or wedding showers.My kids also like to pack it in their lunchbox as a dessert or snack.I just wrap the finished "sandwiches"individually and keep them in the freezer.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed,reserving 1/2 cup juice
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl,form well in center.
- Pour in liquid ingredients.
- Stir by hand.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Cool and wrap in foil and freeze.
- Slice into thin slices while frozen.
- Combine cream cheese and reserved strawberry juice.
- Spread mixture between 2 slices of bread.
- Refrigerate,or refreeze.
This was great! I made it with fresh strawberries and cut the fat by substituting an equal amount of applesauce for the oil. It still looked superb, turned out very moist and I'd definitely make it again. Thanks for a great recipe!
The bread was moist and tasted good. The top of the loaf was nice and crispy. I would suggest that the instructions say to mash or puree the strawberries before adding to the mixture. I recommend adding about 1/4 c. of confectioner's sugar to the cream cheese and strawberry juice mixture. It makes the spread just a little bit sweeter. I cut the loaves lengthwise first and then crosswise to make my small finger sandwiches.
Love this bread! I have been making this same recipe for many, many years. The only difference is that mine has 1 t. red food coloring and is baked at 325 deg.