Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
After two visits to pick strawberries this week, I'm making everything from strawberry shortcakes to this delicious strawberry bread. It's very similar to zucchini bread, and I've altered it a bit by using a little applesauce along with oil, and including whole wheat flour. It is moist and delicious, especially warmed a bit with a spread of butter on top. It also makes a great gift, and freezes well too! This Strawberry Bread recipe makes 2 loaves, so enjoy one and freeze the other. Hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does!
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 1⁄8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flax seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Add a little sugar to strawberries in medium-sized bowl and set aside while preparing bread mixture.
- Combine flours, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in larger mixer bowl; mix well.
- Blend oil and beaten eggs into strawberries.
- Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture on low speed, blending just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Divide batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes (metal pan closer to 45, stoneware pan closer to 50-55) until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, invert onto cooling rack and cool completely.