Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I think this is a Penzey's recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease and flour a standard glass (8x5") loaf pan.
- Rinse, core and slice the strawberries; place in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend together the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, then add the vanilla and melted butter. Make sure the melted butter isn't too hot-just barely melted.
- Stir in the strawberries. Combine the two mixtures, blending until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.
I love this! I followed the recommendation of other reviewers and chopped up my strawberries, leaving a few sliced for a few bigger chunks. I added some wheat germ and replaced half the butter with unsweetened apple sauce. It came out delicious and moist. A new favorite... thanks for sharing!
Excellent quick bread! Chopped the strawberries as others had done, and enjoyed it warm with butter for breakfast Will definitely make again when I have about-to-go-off strawberries.
EXCELLENT!!! Made just the way it is written, made two loaves, one is almost gone before it even cooled completely!!! Wonderful, will definately make this again!!!!