Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe comes from Not Just Cheesecake! a low-fat, low-cholesterol, low-calorie dessert cookbook. It is wonderful! This is made with yogurt cheese and produces a very creamy low-fat pie. The longer you strain the yogurt the more whey is released and the firmer the cheese. I have been making it for years and use my microwave graham cracker crust.
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
I agree this is so yummy!!!! Thank you paula for all of your help on this. I put a coffee filter in a goldmesh coffee filter and it worked! This is one of those deserts that they have already asked when I was going to make again.
- 1 (32 ounce) carton low-fat vanilla yogurt (without gelatin)
- 3⁄4 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup sugar (Splenda works very well.)
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust, cooked and cooled
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before making the pie, strain the yogurt by straining through a cheese cloth lined mesh strainer or using a yogurt cheese funnel.
- Discard whey and reserve the yogurt cheese for the pie.
- Wash strawberries, hull and slice.
- Sprinkle with sugar or a mixture of sugar and Splenda.
- Taste for sweetness and adjust sweetening as necessary for personal taste.
- Soften the gelatin in 1/4 cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 cup water, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Gradually stir gelatin mixture into sweetened strawberries, add yogurt cheese and stir gently with a fork until well blended.
- Pour into a 9-inch prepared graham cracker pie crust that is thoroughly cooled.
- Refrigerate until firm; at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Please Note: Straining the yogurt will take 12 to 24 hours and while straining the yogurt should be placed in refrigerator for safe keeping.