Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Strawberry and Basil are a wonderful combination. The sweetness of the strawberries goes well together with the herbal flavors of basil. The lime adds the freshness, which I like about this jam. I'm using here the "Super Gelling Sugar" from Dr. Oetker (German brand), which makes it possible to reduce the sugar amount to 1/3 of fruit weigth.
- 1200 g strawberries (weight after hulling)
- 400 g super gelling sugar (Dr. Oetker's 1-3)
- 51.76 ml fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 36.97 ml lime juice
- 12.32 ml lime peel, finely grated
- Clean and hull strawberries. Cut strawberries into pieces. Then weight to make 1.2 kg fruit for jam.
- In a suited pot mix strawberries, super gelling sugar and lime juice.
- Let stand for 2 hours, mixing from time to time.
- Over medium high heat bring to a boil stirring all the time.
- Let boil strawberry mixture for 4 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Remove from heat and add lime peel. Mix.
- Add coarsely chopped basil and mix.
- Fill into twist off preserving jars and close jars. Let stand for 1 minute and then turn up side down. Let stand for 10 minutes and turn over again. Let cool completely.
- NOTE on "Dr. Oetker's Super Gelling Sugar 3:1". Dr. Oetker is a well known brand in Germany. There are several gelling sugars available. The "3:1" super gelling sugar already contains pectin and you only need 1/3 of sugar. If you can't get it, you could also use Dr. Oetker's 2:1 super gelling sugar. Follow the instructions on the package.