Recipe by Punky Julster
The rolls can be done several hours ahead of time and the sauce can be done the day before and reheated, if you like. You should use spring roll wrappers for this. I'm not sure if an egg roll wrapper is the same.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 large bananas (the straighter the better)
- 8 -10 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup grated coconut, toasted if you like
- powdered sugar, as needed
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Make sauce:.
- Stir sugar and 1/2 cup water in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil until syrup turns deep amber, brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush and swirling pan occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cream (mixture will bubble vigorously) and stir until caramel bits dissolve.
- Remove from heat and mix in rum.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Before serving, rewarm over low heat, stirring occasionally.)
- Make the rolls:.
- Working with one banana at a time, peel, and cut in half.
- Take half at a time, and quarter longways.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper with a point facing you, keeping the rest covered with a damp towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar liberally on the wrapper.
- Then lay 1 quarter banana on the wrapper horizontally and then layer strawberry slices across to cover.
- Sprinkle a little coconut on the strawberries, and then put another quarter banana on top (like a sandwich).
- Fold the wrapper over, then the side corners in and roll up, being careful not to tear it.
- Seal with a little egg white.
- Keep covered with a lint free towel, and continue with the rest of the banana and strawberries until you have 8 rolls.
- Hold in the refrigerator until ready to serve.