Prep 15 mins
Cook 28 mins
I cannot tell a lie at all. Strawberries and bananas are two of my favorite fruits. I just love 'em. Nothing better. This rich shortcake came from a local restaurant and the recipe was given on our local midday show. I was THRILLED to DEATH! It's so decadent...give it a try when the strawberries are fresh and be sure to make some extra sliced strawberries and bananas to top the cake slices.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced ripe bananas
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9" round cake pan with cooking spray and line bottoms with wax paper and spray wax paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- Beat egg at medium speed with a mixer until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, melted margarine, and vanilla.
- With mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 28 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Combine yogurt and brown sugar; stir well.
- Using a serrated knife, split cake in half horizontally.
- Place bottom layer, cut side up, on serving plate.
- Spread with half of yogurt mixture, top with strawberries.
- Combine bananas and lemon juice and toss gently. Drain bananas and discard juice.
- Arrange bananas over strawberries; drizzle with remaining yogurt mixture.
- Top with remaining layer.
- Sift powdered sugar over cake.
- Serve with whipped cream also, if desired.