Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tasty jam that you can sub blueberries for the strawberries OR decrease bananas to 1 cup and add 1 can well drained crushed pineapple.
- 7 cups hulled and halved strawberries
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 medium seedless orange, that has been put through a food processor to a fine chop
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- In a large stainless or enamel pot add the strawberries, bananas and the orange.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for 10 min.
- Slowly add the sugar and lemon juice-you dont want to loose the"boil" and stir constantly until mixture reaches the gel stage.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
- Ladle into hot sterilized jars to 1/4 inch head space.
- Process in a water bath for 5 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.
My very first attempt at making jam and canning. I substituted blueberries for the strawberries (per suggestion) and was amazed. It came out fabulous. I'm going to make it with strawberries at my first chance.
The common combination of s'berries and bananas usually doesn't appear in most jam books, so this is nice to have. Very tasty and good consistency. It's not clear,Diane, whether the orange should be peeled or the rind included.....like in a marmalade..... I made the jam without the peel.Stew
very tasty!Easy to make.Will be great for the holidays.