Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Yes, this is awesome! Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2004. I am sure you could make this recipe taking many shortcuts; cake mix or store bought cake for brownies, prepared vanilla pudding and Hersheys' chocolate sauce, frozen berries, and with frozen whipped nondairy cream. It still would taste great and look just as pretty without spending as many hours in the kitchen preparing it! Various chilling times were not included, 5 hours.
- 709.78 ml fresh strawberries, rinsed, wiped dry and sliced
- 59.14 ml superfine sugar or 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml fresh orange juice
- 680.38 g bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 133.10 ml unsalted butter
- 56.69 g unsweetened chocolate
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92 ml pure vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml milk
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml cornstarch
- 0.59 ml salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 14.79 ml butter, cut into pieces
- 9.85 ml pure vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 226.79 g semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml cold heavy cream
- 29.58 ml confectioners' sugar
- sugared sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9" square baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons butter and the chocolate over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and hot chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of the flour and whisk to combine.
- Add 1 egg and whisk to combine.
- Add the remaining flour and egg and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into the prepared dish and tap the bottom to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutiing into 9 equal pieces.
- Yield:1(9")pan,=6-9 servings.
- VANILLA PUDDING:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until pale and frothy, about 3 minmutes.
- Slowly add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the hot milk mixture and return to the heat.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Transfer to a clean container and press plastic wrap against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until chilled, 4 hours or overnight, before serving.
- Yiled:4 cups,=4-6 servings.
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries with the superfine or granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of the orange juice.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- In another bowl, toss the sliced bananas with the remaining 3 tablespoons of orange juice.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Yield:6 cups macerated fruit with juice.
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a bare simmer over low heat.
- Place the chocolate pieces in a mdeium bowl.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thickens.
- Lest sauce cool to room temperature before serving.
- Yiled:1-1/2 cups.
- WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream until frothy and starting to thicken.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until thickened and soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Cut each 3" piece of brownie in half horizantally.
- Place the bottom halves, cut side up, in the bottom of 6 individual glass dessert bowls.
- Arrange 1/4 each of the bananas and strawberries over each brownie portion.
- Top with about 1/4 cup of the vanilla pudding.
- Arrange another brownie half over each pudding layer and repeat layering with fruit, drizziling the fruit with any juices that remain in the bowl.
- Top with pudding and drizzle about 2 tablespoons of cooled chocolate sauce over the top of each portion.
- Spread 1/3-1/2 cup of whipped cream on top of each trifle and garnish with sugar almond pieces.