Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
Low sugar, low cal, so easy! I make it for Whole Wheat Pancakes, see here: Serves 4 This calls for frozen strawberries. I slice fresh and then freeze them anyways, but fresh would be fine, just allow more time. Freeing breaks the cell walls and makes them mushier.
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda sugar substitute (or 8 packets)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Put all ingredients in a small sauce pan on Med-High Heat.
- Stir whenever you feel like it.
- Reduce until desired thickness (about 8min).
- Note: Strawberries will start to look really pale and sad after they thaw, but don't worry they will get dark red again!
Really enjoyed this topping on pancakes I'd made, & since I almost always have frozen strawberries around . . . Worked like a chard & easy to make, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]