Recipe by Janet W
This cake is very moist and made with applesauce rather than oil. I made it one day and it was gone the next..ENJOY! I must admit I didn't make the frosting I just put Cool Whip on mine along with some of the strawberries in the syrup.
- 1 (18 ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces neufchatel cheese, at room temperature (reduced fat cream cheese)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt plan with vegetable oil spray, then dust with flour.
- Shake out the excess flour.
- Set the pan aside.
- Place the cake mix, strawberry puree, applesauce and the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed.
- The batter should look well combined and thickened.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula.
- Place pan in oven.
- Bake the cake until it is light brown and springs back when lightly pressed with your finger, 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the pan from oven place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
- Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert it onto a serving platter to cool completely, 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- Place the neufchatel cheese and the strawberry preserves in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until just combined, 30 seconds.
- Stop the machine, scape down the sides of the bowl with the rubber spatula, and add the confectioner's sugar and red food coloring, if desired.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until fluffy, 1 minute more.
- Spread the frosting over top and sides of the cooled cake with clean, smooth strokes, Slice and serve!
- ****Store this cake, covered in wax paper, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.