Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Sunset Magazine, April 2003 is what I was reading when I found this recipe. (Once again, I was in the Dr's office)so I decided to post it here for possible use this Passover. Matzoh cake meal is available in supermarkets during the Passover season, you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.
- 7 ounces almond paste (crumbled or grated, I would use a box grater)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup matzo cake crumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 lbs tart apples such as granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 lb strawberry, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons potato starch
- In the bowl of a food processor or a standing mixer, whirl or beat almond paste and 1 cup sugar until well blended.
- Whirl or beat in egg whites, matzoh cake meal, and salt until well incorporated (mixture will resemble very wet cookie dough).
- In a large bowl, mix apples, strawberries, lemon juice, potato starch, and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Spread fruit mixture level in a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish.
- Pat almond paste mixture evenly over fruit.
- Bake in a 350°F oven until topping is browned and fruit bubbles, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes.