Recipe by Mrs. Dougie
This is a nice accompaniment to Sunday brunch and a super dish for dessert, served with or without ice cream. It makes for a nice snack with friends over a cup of coffee. And, it's even a fun, unexpected dish to prepare while out camping... for the more adventurous!
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 lbs strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- FRUIT MIXTURE: Combine sugar, flour, lemon rind, and cinnamon. Stir in apples, strawberries, and lemon juice.
- Spread evenly in 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- TOPPING: Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- With fork, stir in buttermilk until soft dough forms.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto fruit mixture.
- Return to oven. Bake 35 to 40 minutes more, until top is golden.